Thursday, October 23, 2008

Cancer

Our local radio station is having a marathon for breast cancer research over the next two days. I find it to be the hardest two days of radio to listen to. I seem to always have a lump in my throat when listening to the stories of breast cancer survivors. The resilience of these women is incredible! I can't imagine what it must be like to endure such horror and yet, they maintain this incredibly positive outlook on life. Today, something one lady, Fiona, said resonated with me. She spoke to the fact that doctors don't even look for it if you are below a certain age. In her case it was the absolute last thing they checked for before diagnosing her! The medical community needs a paradigm shift. Breast cancer is hitting women as young as 18. Doctors need to "expect the worst". For many of these women time is the enemy; they can't afford to lose precious moments because of medical complacency. It is time doctors created a new standard by being proactive instead of reactive. Life is so precious it shouldn't be pissed away by negligence and apathy.

No comments: